Ok, lets start this with a little warning. When you first try this soup you may think that I have played an evil prank on you. Because, initially it may feel like digestive warfare has unfolded, and you will feel bloaty and gassy afterwards. BUT, what you are experiencing is a massive feeding of the good bacteria in the gut which will cause the bacterial colony to grow and strengthen. The long term benefit of this is that bloating will ease in the long term and many aspects of digestion and digestive health will improve. Another odd thing – these vegetables are not Artichokes, and have nothing to do with Jerusalem. Weird!
- 1 large white onion – finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 500g of Jerusalem Artichokes – diced, skins left on
- 500ml of vegetable stock
- In a soup pan saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil, with a pinch of sea salt, until the onion has softened.
- Add the diced jerusalem artichokes, and enough stock to cover the artichokes. You can always add more if the soup is a little thick, but watery soup is just like gruel!
- Simmer gently for around 20 minutes, until the artichokes have softened. Blend into a thick smooth soup.