This is just a play on words. Fear not, there is no tartrazine or sunset yellow in sight! I threw this together today to use up a few bits lying around the house. As I often combine citrus zest with roasted root veg like parsnips, I thought this could be worth a try….and indeed it was!
- 1 medium/large red onion – finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 1 small butternut squash – diced, skins left on
- Juice and rind of 2 oranges
- 500ml of vegetable stock (you won’t need all of this most likely)
- Coconut oil
- sea salt
- Squeeze the juice out of the oranges, keep to one side, and retain the skins.
- Saute the onion and garlic in a little coconut oil, along with a pinch of sea salt, until the onion softens.
- Add the diced squash and orange skins, and add enough vegetable stock to cover. Simmer until the squash is nice and soft.
- Remove the orange skins and then transfer the soup to a blender, and blend into a silky smooth texture.
- Add the squeezed orange juice and warm gently before serving.
I garnished with a little shredded basil which added a nice twist.