This is a great way to get a multitude of vegetables into fussy eaters. As a blended sauce you can put all manner of vegetables in there, and providing there are plenty of tomatoes and garlic, when it is all whizzed up, you will get a sauce that is just like a deep rich tomato sauce. This is great for kids as they will never know what has been sneakily added. This is the basic sauce – but great additions are courgettes, spinach and aubergine.
- 1 large red onion – roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 2 red peppers – diced
- 500g of fresh cherry tomatoes – halved
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Place the onions, garlic, peppers, and tomatoes into a rasting tin.
- Add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper, and toss well. drop the bay leaves on top.
- Roast at 180 for about an hour, or until the peppers are soft, the tomatoes have burst and are beginning to shrivel, and the onions are soft and almost caramelising – basically so everything will blend beautifully.
- Transfer to a blender and blend into a smooth sauce that can be added to pasta, or even a a pouring sauce over cooked poultry!