Looking for a healthy curry recipe? Many people get freaked out by the thought of making a curry from scratch. This simple one pot wonder is a great introduction. Sweet, spicy, silky. Great stuff!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 green chillies, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 heaped teaspoon turmeric
- 800 g (1¾ lb) sweet potato, diced with skins left on
- 375 ml (13 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 150 g (5 oz) spinach, coarsely chopped
- Large handful of fresh coriander leaves, coarsely torn
- 1 tablespoon toasted flaked almonds
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion, garlic, ginger, and chilli.
- When the onion has softened, add all the spices and heat until they are becoming fragrant.
- Add the sweet potato and stock and simmer for about 15–20 minutes until the sweet potato is soft.
- At this point add the spinach.
- Once the spinach has wilted, the curry is ready to serve with coriander leaves, topped with flaked almonds.